Monday, May 10, 2010

Your First Prayer Assignment

Many of you already know, but for those who do not:

Jason and I recently found out that more than one Bosh will be traveling to Kenya: I will be 28 weeks pregnant when I board my Nairobi-bound flight in August.

No, this was NOT in the plans.

Yes, I will still be traveling.

I have the okay from the midwife to travel, but here's what it means:
  • I am researching anti-malaria medications that are safe for pregnancy (I have an appointment with a travel nurse this Wednesday)
  • I am also researching effective non-DEET alternative bug sprays
  • I will be more susceptible to sicknesses in general
  • My flights (8.5 hrs to Amsterdam, then 8.5 hrs to Nairobi, and then back again) will have the potential of being rather uncomfortable; I've requested aisle seats!
  • I will not be able to enjoy a full cup of Kenyan chai at every home we visit, as Kenyan tea is quite high in caffeine (as reference, the last time I traveled there, I probably drank between 5 and 10 cups per day)

That last issue is mostly selfish on my part: I love chai and the hospitality it represents. More on that in a future blog entry...

So, your assignment, if you are praying for me on this journey:

  • Pray for no mosquito bites
  • Pray for protection over my immune system, for no illnesses while I'm there
  • Pray for safe and comfortable travel on the airplanes
  • Pray for me to let this situation be something that opens up conversation and vulnerability with Kenyan friends; pregnancy is such a universal life event, who knows what God will do with this

I'd also love suggestions from any of you who have traveled while pregnant, or know someone who has -- especially to developing countries, and/or high malaria-risk areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment